Sunday, August 07, 2005

Seattle and Vancouver trip

So my trip to Seattle and Vancouver is almost over. I've been quite productive at home; more productive than I usually am. Don't get me wrong; I've been able to play a couple of games of Settlers with my family (it's become our family game). But I've also been able to:
  • Do some research about cell phone plans that include Canada as a local call area
  • Do some research about external hard drives (since my laptop hard drive doesn't seem to have enough room)
  • Call around about possible housing situations to look into on Saturday
  • Send a letter about reenabling my old email account
  • Catch up with some old friends
Saturday was a busy day in Canada. Left home with my dad at around 7:15 AM; got to the border around 9:00 AM. Very little traffic, got through in a few minutes. Stopped at the border station to get my student visa, which took about 30 minutes. Costs $125 Canadian for one of those, just for your reference. Got to the first place at 10:00 AM; looked at the place and hung out with the prospective roommates until 11:00 AM. Nice people, but the place seems a bit old and a bit too far away from Regent. After that, went over to Regent College to wait for my friend at noon. He got there about half an hour late, as he got stuck in border traffic, which took him about an hour to get through. Strange, since he only left 2 hours later than we did for Canada. I guess everyone decided to drive to Canada at the same time Saturday morning. Anyways, I opened a CIBC personal chequing (how it's spelled in Canada) account. The personal banker who helped me open my account noticed that my student visa had been given an incorrect expiration date of September 7, 2005 instead of September 7, 2009, which is what it should be. So we raced back to the border station to get that fixed. Took 45 minutes to get there and 45 minutes to get back, so we got back at 3:00 PM; just in time to meet up with my friend again to go look at 2-bedroom places with him. The first one we looked at was a little bit pricey, but it was quite a nice place and the option closest to Regent. Everything was included, so it looks like a good deal. The second one was still pretty nice, but not as nice as the first one and a bit further away. Decent price though. After that, finally had lunch (at 4:00 PM, since we didn't have time to eat lunch earlier because of the visa issue) at this sushi place. After that, looked at a couple more 1-bedroom, shared housing places. They seemed alright, but a bit far from Regent. Left Vancouver at 7:30 PM and arrived at home just before 10:00 PM.

It's been a good day. I'm pretty amazed how I'm not stressed about this, especially since I still haven't found a place and I'm moving up to Vancouver in less than a month.

1 Comments:

At Sunday, August 07, 2005 10:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi chunky.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home