Monday, July 25, 2005

All about the Koreans

Lately, I've been watching this Korean drama (if you can believe it) called "Summer Scent". I won't bore you with the details, but it has actually given me a desire to learn more Korean again. I can follow some of the dialogue, but for a good portion of it, I have to read the subtitles.

Learning Korean has made me think of my ethnic identity. I was born in Korea, so I guess that makes me Korean, but I only identify with some of that culture. I've lived most of my life in the United States, so I guess I mostly identify myself as American. But I don't really think of myself as Korean American, as evidenced by the fact that I embrace very little of my Korean side (don't speak or learn the language, little desire to visit Korea, don't spend much time with other Koreans). Why am I Korean then? There must be a reason why God made me this way. I've always wondered if I would find reconciliation with myself and my Korean identity. I have yet to see it and wonder what it would be like.

3 Comments:

At Monday, July 25, 2005 6:51:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi chunky

 
At Tuesday, July 26, 2005 5:06:00 PM, Blogger G said...

i've been watching a lot of Korean movies myself, lately. if you ever need some recommendations, let me know... heh

 
At Wednesday, July 27, 2005 11:41:00 AM, Blogger chongsun said...

Heh, I would like to limit my intake of Korean dramas/movies to like one a year. They can be kinda addicting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home