Friday, February 10, 2006

OS X vs. XP

So I'm planning on buying a Mac for my next laptop because I've heard it makes me more productive. I heard it's easier to learn and there aren't as many annoying things about it compared to Windows, but my housemate doesn't think so. So I decided to find a website that compares the two operating systems. Some interesting UI (user interface) issues:
  • It's interesting how dialog boxes in OS X have verbs as buttons, while the ones in XP have the generic "Yes-No-Cancel" type. As a result, you have to read the entire dialog box to find out what exactly you are doing when you click a button, while with OS X, you can just read the buttons.
  • The menu bar design for OS X is somewhat better. There's an idea in UI design to utilize the edges and corners of a screen as much as possible because those are the areas that are easiest to get to. It is impossible to overshoot an edge or a corner with your mouse. Macs follow this idea by putting their menu bars and other widgets in those places. Each application's menu bar on a Mac is always at the top, which makes it easy to get to; you just have to flick the mouse up to the top. Windows also does this, but not quite to the same degree. It's easy to get to the Start Menu in Windows (drag all the way to the bottom left corner), but if you wanted to get to the File menu in an application, you have to drag to the top left corner and then move a little down (two mouse movements). Or if the window is not maximized, then you can't do this; you have to find the File menu.
  • I still can't get over the fact that Mac mice lack a right-click button.
It's good to know that designers think this deeply about UI in order to make computers easier to use.

1 Comments:

At Saturday, March 11, 2006 3:58:00 PM, Blogger Tim "Palantar" Jones said...

Yeah, I don't think you ever completely get over the not-having-a-right-mouse-button problem. The Mac folks seem to think that this causes better design because it forces programs to be more up front about their options instead of burying them in context menu. I've found that it just means learning to command-click on buttons instead. It's easy to get around with a desktop because you just buy a multi-button mouse, but it'sP a bit trickier on a laptop :) Macs also have way too few keyboard shortcuts for my taste...

Personally, I think I'm going to stick with Mac laptops though, just for the "sleep" mode alone which is almost as good as Window's hibernate feature and many many times as fast. It's a beautiful thing to just go to class, open the notebook and start typing. :) On the other hand, my home PC is going to stay a windows box for a while...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home