Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Theological discussion

In my Christian Thought & Culture class, we've been discussing the ideas of Annihiliationism and Double Predestination, which I just recently have learned about.

A couple questions I've been pondering related to Annihilationism:
  1. Does the Bible say anything about us having an immortal soul, or even a soul at all, or is that just something we got from Greek thought?
  2. What happens to us after we die? Do we cease to exist until we are resurrected? If we have souls, where do they go?
At the moment, I am somewhat skeptical about Annihiliationism, even though I can see it possible that we temporarily cease to exist before we are resurrected.

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 28, 2005 11:37:00 AM, Blogger benson said...

I've assumed the soul is eternal. I'm sure greek influence does play a role. No biblical basis off the top of my head.

Much of Paul's writings has to do with the difference between the flesh, soul, and the spirit. Its actually really interesting once you start making those distinctions...it totally changes the implications of what Paul is saying.

Interesting topic. Let us know your findings.

 
At Wednesday, September 28, 2005 11:33:00 PM, Blogger chongsun said...

Not sure what you mean. What distinctions?

 
At Thursday, September 29, 2005 8:30:00 AM, Blogger benson said...

Like, what does Paul mean when he is talking about the flesh? Or what does he mean what he's talking about the soul versus the spirit?

More specifically, where does the Spirit of God dwell? Where do experience God? In the realm of the soul or the spirit?

I know I don't really have a firm grasp of those things.

 
At Thursday, September 29, 2005 9:44:00 PM, Blogger chongsun said...

Yes, neither do I. They seem to be rather elusive and may have to be relegated to the mystery of God.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home